Wednesday, October 3, 2007

We've had a death...

This morning when I got to school, Mrs. C (identity held for her protection) :) brought over our little newt on a napkin and said, "we've had a death....". Poor little guy. We're not sure what happened...there weren't any battle wounds that would lead us to believe that the toad attacked him. She's going to the pet store today to pick up another one.

A couple of the boys were looking in the tank today...."Miss Mullen, where did the newt go?" I looked at them and pursed my lips, not saying anything. "Did he die?" I nodded my head slowly with a sympathetic smile. They were so sad. The joys and sorrows of life and death.....even for a newt.

Mrs. C was sick yesterday and so we had a substitute. She spent the entire day labeling maps and circling restaurants and places for Nate and I to see and visit when he's here in a couple of weeks. How kind of her! I was so excited- lots of museums, bike trails, coffee shops, farmers markets, etc....all kinds of things.

I have visited with my supervisors, mentors, advisers, etc. to figure out what needs to be done for my return to Nebraska in December. It looks like I'm set to go- applications just need to be finished and sent in. I'm feeling good about the next step. I know what I need to be working for.

I'm loving my time here- I went to Bible study last night- the second time we've met- and there are some really neat women there. There were 11 of us, ages 23-75-ish....a wide variety of experiences and personalities. I loved it- what a great feeling to have that kind of a group to meet with and share life- even if just for a season. I'm finally meeting more people that aren't still in college and wanting to go to the bars every weekend. I don't like that....I'm not in that season of life anymore. I want more meaningful relationships. I desire friends who can challenge me and people I can rest with. People who want to meet at coffee shops and talk about how we've been inspired; what we've been learning; how we've been growing.....I long for that. I'm sure they're here....but it's taking a while to find these friends.

In the meantime, God is preoccupying me with the beauty of the trees and changing colors against a canvas of grey and blue skies. Lake Michigan is beautiful to drive by every day; the cool damp mornings and wet streets at night. I love this. I love fall. If only I could experience this joy with everyone I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment