Sunday, July 13, 2008

whiner.

I think I just helped the whiniest man on this side of 9th street.

He was about 30. He came in with a beautiful young woman. As they walked in the door I heard him squeal, "I'm so hungry".

As he perused our pastry case, he picked up a sandwich out of the cooler- all of which are properly marked to display what kind of sandwich they are, what type of bread they are on, and the different toppings that will be found on any particular sandwich.

"What kind of sandwich is this," he asks me.
"Well, it should say on the front. That one looks like turkey on wheat"
"Oh. How much?"
"4.95".
To this price, he tisks.
"Do you have bagels?"
"Yes. There are two right there", pointing to the obvious plate right in front of him holding two cinnamon raisin bagels.
"I want a plain bagel".
"Well, we only have cinnamon raisin".
"You don't have a plain bagel"?
"No".
"But it's Sunday".
"Yes, I realize that".
"But it's Sunday, you should have plain bagels."
"Well sir, that's all we have left from the day. It is 7:30pm. All the other bagels are sold by now".
"But I want a plain bagel with cream cheese. Where can I get one"
"I suppose you could go to Brueggers on 11th and Q"
"Where?!"
"11th & Q- just three blocks that way"
"THREE blocks?!"
"I thought you wanted a plain bagel really bad. That's where you can get one".
"ugh. What about these muffins?"

So, I'll spare you the rest of the dialogue. In short, he whined for another couple of minutes. He asked for coffee with free refills. I told him I'd give him a "to-stay" mug and he could have his first refill for free. He complained when I told him the price. He said yesterday it was cheaper. I said, no it wasn't. He then continued to make his lady friend microwave his muffin for him, and asked me to put steamed milk in his coffee. I did. When I took it to him, he complained that the Internet didn't reach through the windows to the patio outside. I assured him that it did. He insisted that the glass was too strong for the Internet to go through. I thought to myself- "this guy is a moron". His cute little friend stood back and smiled politely as she knew he was being ridiculous, but was not surprised in the least. This must be common behavior for him.

I'm so glad I'm marrying Nate. He knows that Internet can go through glass. And he's OK with cinnamon raisin bagels. :)

4 comments:

  1. I don't get it, what's wrong with that?
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, I love this post. Really love it. I especially like "It's Sunday, you should have plain bagels on Sunday."
    What the turkey burger is that about?

    Are flavored bagels on Sundays a sin? Did he confuse Cinnamon with SIN-amon?

    I hope I've reinforced that this man lacks all faculties of logic and I concur with Miss Mullen that he was, indeed, a moron. And a meanie for giving my darling friend a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hoped you used your teacher voice. That would have been awesome to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete