Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Keep yo' hands off, Mister.

Today I was hugged by a man.

Brook and I were sitting at the surfboard table at our little coffee shop and a 40-something male came in. He resembled a gray bear. As he inched his way in the door and came closer to the table, I slid off my chair to help him. I started toward the front counter and he stepped in my way, put his arm around me and proceeded to give me a good squeeze. It was awkward. It was really awkward. I glanced over my shoulder to look at Brook as I weaseled my way out of his hold, and found her chuckling to herself on the other side of the table.

I've never seen him before in my life. I think he needed a shower.

The rest of my experience with him was like nearly every other customer. He ordered. He paid. I made the drink. I gave him the drink. He said "thank you". He walked away.

4 comments:

  1. How funny!! Well, I warned you didn't I? You give the best hugs EVER (behind moms) and he probably sensed it. You probably made his year.
    Can I have a hug right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the table, Old Men LOVE it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to be more specific, my shoulders were shaking as I laughed at Heather, knowing she was undoubtedly absolutely uncomfortable. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah that is sicko. I'm sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete