Friday, July 25, 2008

Either you've got it, or you don't.

I was at work today and felt my phone vibrating in my pocket. I looked at the number and saw 436-... and knew it was the district office. I answered and heard, "Heather? Hi, this is Jane from the benefits and human resources department at the district office. You've been hired to be a new teacher?" (note the question.)

My heart started to flutter, "Really?! What grade level?"

She paused. "Didn't someone call you?"

"Uhh....no? Not that I know of..." knowing full well that I had been watching my phone all day waiting for a call.

"Oh no. Well, you're on my list, but.....um...well, can you hold on just a minute? Don't go anywhere..."

Hold music hummed through the phone as I stood behind the counter on my cell phone, stomach bouncing. I don't like to be on my phone at work, but no one was in the store, so I waited. Just then, I looked up and saw two smoothie girls bee-lining it straight for the doors. I was forced to hang up. I guess district office lady might think that we were disconnected, but I had no choice!

Anyway, she called back and left a message and when I returned the call, she said that she was trying to find Kay, the head honcho who tells everyone if they have a job or not. I'm still waiting for the call. I told her that waiting on something like that dangling in front of me would be pretty tough over the weekend. She laughed and agreed and said that she'd try to find our lady before the end of the day.

For now, I'm waiting. I'm watching for a vibrating phone on the table....and trying to keep myself busy in the meantime. :)

Thanks to all of you who have called or written to check up on the progress. I'll post as soon as I hear something.

No comments:

Post a Comment