Thursday, April 10, 2008

My maker's holding me......so tight.

The rain is phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.

It has been raining all day long. Raining HARD all day long. It hasn't let up at all since I've been here in the same 4th grade room as yesterday. I've opened all the windows to let the smell and sound in- and every shade is wide open. I see students across the courtyard gazing out open windows as well. I watch them and their sweet curiosity....pointing, waving at birds, pressing damp palms against window panes- attempting to reach out to touch fat drops cascading heavily from heaven. These are days that I love.

Grass outside my windows has started to cave under pools of cold water. A low down the middle has become a small lake- welcoming new drops and inviting streams to join. Everyone who passes by a window slows to watch. Small hands stretch out of open, screen-less windows- catching rainwater from gutters. Faint bursts of laughter echo through curtains of rain.

Rainy days are my favorite. They inspire me. They push me to write. They remind me to stop and listen.....breathe......and exhale. I find joy...so much joy in rainy days. I know not all of you feel this way. But maybe this will encourage you to slow down a bit- to find joy in the rain- to smell the damp earth and be reminded of our creator.

Additionally, and not so thought-provokingly, I recently found a pair of yellow wellies at Gap- clearanced 1/2 off- one pair left- MY size. I bought them and have been waiting for the perfect day to wear them. This may be the one.

3 comments:

  1. Ahhh, torrential rain and flooded neighborhoods with dogs and tubers floating down drainage flows practically through the back yard... brings back fond memories, ehh (former) roommate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love that you love rain. it makes me love it. i also love your writing. let's write stories to each other again. i need you to remain my writing buddy for life.

    ReplyDelete