Wednesday, June 25, 2008

when did this happen?

The more time I have to slow down and process life, the more I wonder, "when did this happen". I've been itching lately to get to a coffee shop to read, have a quiet time, slow down and process through things. I've wanted to invite someone to go- to sit silent with me or even at a different table. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that so many of my "coffee shop grab-and-go" friends don't live here anymore. And as I look back, it's been a process that's lasted years. It's been so slow and gradual...that I'm just now understanding that so many of "my people" aren't here. I can't just jump in the car with them and go. This is one of those facts about growing up that sometimes makes swallowing difficult.

Carissa- Kentucky, Martha- Michigan, Melissa- Georgia, Amber- Omaha, Meg- San Diego, Ashley- Kansas City, Lindsey- San Diego.... and what's more, the people who are still here, most of them have real-life, adult jobs that keep them busy during the day. And if that's not it, it's beautiful little children that keep them home...

I'm not complaining. I'm not wishing for things to go back the way they were in college. I'm just understanding now that things change. Life doesn't ever stay the same. Friends move. People have different schedules and getting together for an afternoon of reading or writing just isn't as doable as it once was. It's this whole growing-up thing that I'm not sure I'll ever be used to. It's life and it's happening. We embrace these moments that we have now; these seasons. We learn in them all. We grow through them. And we become stronger.

Maybe today I need to go at it alone. Maybe it's time to take a different friend who's never leaving. The one who's been waiting for me to slow down and spend time in the word. The Lord has a way of being coincidental like that. :)

2 comments:

  1. well if you would move up here we could go EVERY DAY!

    I miss it too. I miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Mrs. Thomas. Just c'mon over!

    I wish I could have coffee with you every. Day. Someday we'll be closer darling, the ocean can't compete with all the loved ones I know in Mid-country USA, not the least of which includes you :)

    ReplyDelete