Wednesday, January 16, 2008

fact and fiction work as a team

It's snowing here. Big, fat flakes flutter through the piercing Nebraska winds- seemingly confused as to which direction they are to go. Some go up, some go down, others decide on up or down, and a small few circle around and around on the horizon of my window before they make a final decent.

My dear friend, Meg, recently moved to San Diego. Her writing beautifully captures a season called "winter" in California- which looks (or sounds) like our best warm spring day. I cannot wait to visit. As I visit with her on the phone or read her entries on her blog, I am reminded of my time in Milwaukee. 5 months away from everything I knew and loved.

(Side note: I called my aunt in Milwaukee last night during a commercial break for "Biggest Loser" to see what she thought of the new season. She was recording the show at home and was currently surrounded with "our" Bible study ladies. I used to attend that Bible study every other Tuesday. I miss them and I miss my aunt and uncle even more...)

But now, I'm "home". I'm reminded of being comforted; of being in a place where everything is familiar. I run into people I have since forgotten and often people I have greatly missed. I can schedule coffee dates. I can "just stop by" someones house. I can wander through Target for hours because I know this store- it's my Target. I find myself longing for these places. Weekly I stop at Target or Super Saver- not necessarily because I need things- but more because I find so much comfort in being home.

And today I'm off to deliver final documents to start subbing here. I cannot wait for the day I find myself unlocking my own classroom. For now, I'm going to touch lives one day, one classroom at a time. Cheesy- perhaps, but unrealistic- no.

And to my dear friend, Meg, who finds herself far away and in a season of temporary loneliness, be encouraged, girl. You're starting a new adventure- and you're already doing a great job. Take great care of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment