Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"Very nicely done, 5th grade. Thank you for being responsible."

Day 2 of teaching...done. It's been really great. I have 31 5th grade students, 13 of which are white. The others create a melting pot of colors in our classroom, which is something that I really love. They're a lot of fun. I've had to be tough to keep the whole group under control. You know, the "I'm really disappointed that you couldn't handle walking down the hallway quietly. Lets go back and try that again"......or "You know, I thought that this was something that I could trust you with, but I see that I was wrong. I guess we'll have to wait until later in the semester to try it again." and of course, the "Thank you so much for getting ready so quickly and quietly. I really appreciate that. You're off to a good start today, 5th grade." It's so fun. All those teacher lines. My favorite thing though is the one-on-one time I get with students when working on homework or little chats before and after school or recess. That is the time when they get to see that I really am a nice person and that I want them to do well. If they follow my guidelines, we can have a lot of fun.....but setting those rules early on is what makes or breaks a classroom. They'd walk all over me if I was a softie with them right away. THESE are the things I'm learning this year. :)

I start spelling on Monday- the subject is mine completely. My cooperating teacher is being really great about giving me things to do with the kids and around the room. I can't wait to get some pictures- but as many of you know, I don't have a digi' right now. I might take my laptop in tomorrow- we'll see how that goes.

Something that's been an adventure is a 3rd floor classroom with no air conditioning and 90 degree days- jam packed with sweaty-hot 5th graders. They're doing a great job of not complaining, and soon enough we'll be wearing layer upon layer because of Wisconsin winters.... It's been interesting, to say the least. It's a good reminder of perserverence. It's so easy to get tired and hot and hungry- not to mention the number of times I go down three flights of stairs to make copies or drop of or pick up students from different classes, lunch, recess, etc. This is making me stronger. I just know it!

If you haven't already, check out Ryan and Martha's news......pretty great.

No comments:

Post a Comment