Thursday, March 3, 2011

Happy 1 Week, Little Lucy!

I've been out of commission for a bit. Partly because life was getting busy trying to prepare for our little bundle- due this coming Sunday, and partly because I was busy giving birth. :) What a great day!

It was a week ago today, I taught the entire morning, had recess duty with my first graders, ate lunch with the gals at school, went home and made lunch for Nate so I could pick him up for our routine 38 week appointment. They had been watching me pretty close because, in short, my placenta was shutting down and the amount of amniotic fluid was decreasing weekly. We were having ultrasounds for a couple of weeks in a row to keep a close eye on her growth.

Anyway, we went to the appointment, saw on the ultrasound that the fluid was a little lower, but she still looked fine, and waited for the Dr. to come and tell us to go home and keep waiting. (That's what I had mentally prepared for- it was easier than being disappointed about not being sent to the hospital). He came in and checked for dilation and said, "Have you been having a lot of contractions?" I had felt crampy for about three days, but nothing more than your run-of-the-mill monthly cramps (ladies). "Heather, you're 4 centimeters dilated and fully effaced. You're in early labor and you need to go to the hospital! We're having this baby today!" I was shocked. Nate and I looked at each other in disbelief and felt a combination of "holy cow, are you serious?", "YES!", "WHAT? I'm not ready!", etc.

Our doctor called the hospital to tell them we were coming, and we were shooed out the door. By this time, a light dusting of snow had covered the rainy streets, which had frozen, making for a slippery drive there. We felt like we did the evening we got engaged- excited, wanting to call everyone we know, wanting to scream, a little scared....IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING?!

We parked on level 3, pink. Pink for our little girl. We grabbed the bags that had been in the back of the car for a week- since they'd been watching us close, we were very hopeful of going early. We walked in casually, asked which way to labor and delivery and found ourselves on the elevator headed up to 4th floor- delivery. Yikes!

I don't want to make this sound like a walk in the park, but my labor was really NOT what I expected it to be. Nothing like the movies. We checked in, situated ourselves in our delivery room, I changed into the beautiful green gown, they started an IV, and Nate and I took to the hallways and walked around and around for about a half hour. We stopped and took pictures of the blizzard that was swarming outside our warm hospital hallways. I prayed multiple times for our families that were headed from separate directions, 2 hours south and 45 minutes north. I was worried more about them driving than I was of myself giving birth in the next few hours.

After about 30 minutes the nurse said, "If you want, we can start the Pitocin and get your epidural started". I wanted to wait on the epi, I'd heard it may slow down labor. But the anesthesiologist was headed home for the evening and he said he'd come back, but with the weather, he couldn't promise a speedy response to a call later in the evening. So, we went ahead and got it started. For the next few hours, Nate and I watched the food network with my parents, who made it safely from 2 hours north, Praise God! Nate's parents eventually made it- a trip that normally takes 45 minutes in good weather turned to a 2 1/2 hour trip in a blizzard. But they made it. My brother and Nate's sister also joined everyone and they all waited together for our big news. What a special night for everyone!

From the time we checked in to the moment she was delivered, we had been there about 8 hours. Everything went so quickly and without hiccups. We were suddenly parents! Little Lucy was here! She was born at 11:09 PM, weighed 6 pounds 14 ounces, and was 19 1/2 inches long. Just perfect.

She's absolutely beautiful. I can't stop holding her. Nate and I are falling for each other all over again as we watch a mom and a dad grow out of the person we already loved. It's a very strange reality, but we love it. The nights are definitely shorter, but God has given both of us an incredible amount of grace this week. We've learned to work as a team to maximize sleep for each other.

Charlie is learning to be a big brother. He always checks on her when she cries and whimpers when he thinks she needs something. It's very sweet.

I'm home now, at least for the rest of this school year and the summer. Hopefully I'll find a beautiful balance at home and be able to share photos and videos of Lucy as she grows. I hope to blog more often, sew more, have wonderful meals prepared for my husband when he arrives home from work, etc. But I know that probably won't all happen in the same day. Some days, none of it will. But, I'm hopeful and I'll try. I'll let you know how it's going.

For now, some photos of our sweet little miracle.

 

Most likely my mom on the phone…walking the hallways.

 

The blizzard outside.Little Lucy Lea
Our first family photo. love.

My cup runneth over.

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome. and maybe it was me you were talking to in that picture. just sayin.....I had about 5 minutes of your time in there i think.... =)

    ReplyDelete