Friday, January 8, 2010

Croutons?

I've mentioned that I recieved a bread maker for Christmas. Well, with all the snow days from school I've been....do I dare say it?.....baking TOO much. !!! We can't keep up. The joy of cooking and baking for me is the actual, you said it, cooking and baking part. Don't get me wrong, I love food- but I'm not one to love eating the same thing for days on end. I like it once, maybe twice and then I'm bored and ready to make something different. So, being able to make food FOR people....now that's what I love!

Anyway, we had some whole wheat bread that had been around for a good week and a half- no mold, so I decided to dice it up and make croutons. Last night I cut the leftover 1/2 loaf into 1-inch cubes (roughly). I spread them out on a baking sheet overnight- mostly because I didn't feel like baking them last night. And this afternoon, I tossed them in 1/8 cup canola oil and 2 teaspoons "Mama Mullen's Seasoning Mix"- you could use any spices you want- combo of 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, etc. Whatever you want, really. Then I baked them for 15 min at 350. I pulled them out halfway through and mixed them up a little. And when they came out, they were DE-LISH! Charlie loved the two that fell on the floor in the transfer to the container.

Anyway, super easy. Yummy. Healthy. Do it.

3 comments:

  1. This is why I love you.

    When life gives you stale bread, make croutons!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me be the first to say it...you are just too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nate!

    (KIDDING! There's not a doubt in my mind that you were aiming for your wife with that one!!)

    And FYI Nate, I think you're pretty awesome. You're even better than spontaneous croutons.

    ReplyDelete