Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Confession

I struggle a lot with fear. On any given day, if I try a couple of times and can't reach someone on their phone- like Nate or my parents or my brother, I go simply. ballistic. -to the point of tears. I automatically think the worst- start figuring out how I'll work through the details of "the accident" or whatever I assume happened to them. I curl a box of kleenex under my arm and wait. wait. wait. to hear from them (or the police or another family member notifying me of the details). I know this is completely ridiculous and a waste of my time. My blood pressure undoubtedly goes through the roof and the amount of stress I put myself through could probably be measured in metric tons.

I'm working on this. I know we have a God who loves us and has MY best interest in mind. He knows the plans. I don't. I'm not proud to admit that I do this, but it's something I'm trying to overcome through prayer and staying in the word. Today I found these verses very comforting.

"I sought the LORD, and He answered me,
and delivered me from all my fears.
They looked to Him and were radiant,
And their faces will never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
And saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear HIM,
And rescues them." Psalm 34:4-7

It goes on to explain how beautifully he listens to and hears our cries. He delivers us from troubles, hears us, sees us.....

"The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous
And HIS ears are open to their cry.
The face of the LORD is against evildoers,
To cut off the memory of them from the earth.
The righteous cry, and the LORD hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
The LORD is near to the brokenhearted
And saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:15-17

What a beautiful reminder of his promise.

1 comment:

  1. Heaver, this is perfect for what I'm going to study this week with my girls; I'm coleading a study on whether or not God really hears our prayer (obviously He does, but the prince of lies would have us constantly question that) and if praying really changes anything or if God's set in what he's going to do and we're all just making ourselves feel better with prayers of petition to a God who's already made up His mind. It's interesting when you really think about it.
    Anyway, thank you for your post; how I hope your fears subside--what a terrible thing to have the sort of worry you do! I think each person (women especially) has his/her own brand of worry though. It takes a special person to be honest about and air out her fears. Doing that makes you brave.

    Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete