Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dad's Zucchini soup

We had a few friends over for dinner tonight. It was a cold, blustery October evening and we thought soup sounded delish. So, we made two different kinds. The first was my dad's zucchini soup. I typed up the recipe for our friend, Mike, and I thought I might as well post it for everyone else too! I know zucchini season is ending, but if you've got any leftover, this would be a great way to use it!

Mike Mullen's Zucchini Soup

1 pound Italian Sausage (I used the Johnsonville mild ground sausage)
1/2 pound ground turkey (I used 1.2 pounds from a ground turkey package)
2 c. diced celery
2 pounds sliced zucchini
1 1/2 c. chopped onion
2- 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes (don't drain)
1- 14. oz can tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 green pepper chopped
shredded mozzarella cheese
grated Parmesan cheese

Brown sausage and turkey with onion and celery.
Add remaining ingredients except for green pepper, zucchini and cheese.
Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add green pepper and zucchini.
Cover and simmer 10 more minutes.
Garnish with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment