Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Flu-bug

Talk about getting kicked while you're down. Sheish. This month has been rough, if I may be so honest. Sunday night at about 1AM (Monday morning) I found myself starting the 8-hour grueling yo-yo pattern of bed-bathroom-bed-bathroom. Ick. Nate was an incredibly patient husband and took very good care of me.

Now I'm home for the second day- trying to keep crackers and gatorade in my system. Ironically this all started just hours after writing in my prayer journal about the struggles of slowing down. I like to stay really busy so that I don't have to think about the reality of life. Slowing down gives me more time to think and more time to process and inevitably, I become sad and emotional. It's easier to ignore and keep moving. God has a funny sense of humor. "Here Heather, here's the flu. Why don't you just sit for a couple of days, talk to me, listen- stay home alone, lay on the couch and just BE." Agh. Fine.

So, here I am.

This past week has been the hardest of them all. I'm hearing from some reliable sources that hormones take a few weeks to get back to normal. I feel so unlike myself some days. Postpartum? Maybe. A sad mama? Very possible. A "mom" who doesn't feel like a mom because there isn't anyone to show for it? Yes. Everything inside me knew I was a mom- but now....he's not here. Babies should either be IN their moms or close enough that mom can hold them. I've got neither. And that's hard to understand and hard to process through.

I know that women go through this all the time. But you don't think about it being this hard all the time. Deal with it and move on.

nice try.

One of the hardest things is seeing other people "deal with it and move on"- which is exactly what they should do. But I can't seem to get there. I can't deal and move because I think about it all the time. I miss him all the time.

I know it takes time. I know that it's OK to take everything one day at a time. Some days will be good, some days will be a lot harder. I know that it's OK to be sad and to cry. But I'm tired of crying and I'm tired of being sad. The very selfish mother in me wants to hold onto God by His shirt collar and scream at Him, "I WILL be a good mother. Nate WILL be a wonderful father. You WILL give us this child and we WILL take incredibly good care of him!"

But the sane person in me trusts that God's plan is far greater. Oliver may never have developed into a full functioning child. God may just have saved us some unimaginable heartache. He has a story for us and one day we will look back and see how this fits perfectly into the story with a beautiful ending. Right now in this season, this is hard.

Thanks for all your prayers and encouraging words. It's so nice to not feel "forgotten" even as the rest of the world moves on. We feel lifted by your prayers and we know that we're being supported by friends all around the world.

3 comments:

  1. Was thinking about you an extra lot this weekend, praying. Now I know exactly why, though I was taking some pretty solid guesses. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, I came here via Brook's blog and I'm so saddened to read of the loss of your baby. I've lost a little one at about 9 weeks (I somehow feel it was a girl) and know the pain you're going through. I'll forever be grateful I got to hear the baby's heartbeat, so I'm glad you did too. I'm so so sorry. I'll pray for you and your husband tonight.

    A group of us from Grace, Zion & Redeemer get together a few times a year to talk about pregnancy loss and infertility. It's helpful to grieve and hope with other Christian women. If you're ever interested, let me know.

    -Rebecca, www.tredways.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather, love, I so wish I were there to take some strides beside you as you put one foot in front of the other. I think of you so often every day -- please know that you are loved and I am so amazed by you and your husband. I hope the weekend brings you great refreshment. hugs...

    ReplyDelete